Kayaks play a vital part in fishing. They are light to carry especially when they are deflated. A kayak can even access remote fish breeding spots making it indispensable. Some kayaks can only hold one rider while others can accommodate 4 people. Whomever you plan to take on with you for the next fishing trip, there is a perfect fishing kayak for you.
It may be difficult to choose a kayak especially if you are a beginner kayaker. Expert kayakers may have a problem too while choosing a replacement for their old fishing kayak. Some may be on a tight budget while thinking of the best kayak. This article is aimed at helping you find one fishing kayak for you. Below are a few things you need to consider while browsing:
- Things to Consider When Purchasing the Best Fishing Kayak Under 0
- 12 Best Fishing Kayaks Under 0
- Intex Excursion Pro Kayak, Professional Series Inflatable Fishing Kayak
- Intex Marina 4, 4 Person Inflatable Boat Set
- Driftsun Voyager 2 Person Tandem Inflatable Kayak
- Sevylor Big Basin 3 Person Kayak
- Sevylor 2 Person Fishing Kayak, Coleman Colorado
- Air Montana Inflatable Kayak
- Sevylor Quikpak K1 1-Person Kayak
- Solstice by Swimline Flare, 1 Person Kayak
- Sea Eagle 370 Pro 3 Inflatable Kayak
- Lifetime Lotus Sit on Top Kayak
- SUN DOLPHIN Sundolphin Excursion Sit-in Kayak
- Lifetime Tamarack Angler Sit-on-Top Kayak
- Bottom line
Things to Consider When Purchasing the Best Fishing Kayak Under $500
- Stability: Fishing may need you to stand on the kayak while casting the fishing nets. It is therefore important that you find a stable kayak that will not topple over while you are fishing.
- Comfort: You may have to spend hours under the intense heat fishing. A comfortable backrest and adjustable footrest may help you enjoy the fishing trip rather than find it a pain.
- Safety: Inflatable kayaks have air chambers that protect the kayak from punctures. Look for a kayak with 3 or more chambers. This guarantees your safety back to the shore even if one chamber is punctured.
- Fishing location: while choosing a kayak, identify your fishing ground. Some kayaks work on shallow waters while others are perfect for white water and fast rivers.
Having considered these key points, let us take a look at the 12 best fishing kayaks under $500.
12 Best Fishing Kayaks Under $500
Intex Excursion Pro Kayak, Professional Series Inflatable Fishing Kayak
The Intex Excursion Pro Kayak is a lightweight, durable, comfortable, and sturdy kayak. It is the best fishing Kayak under $500.
Built with super-tough 30-gauge vinyl material, the Intex Excursion Kayak becomes both sturdy after a high impact and durable. It can withstand saltwater, intense sunlight, impact, and abrasions for years without limiting its performance. Despite the tough materials used on the kayak, it is still portable and lightweight.
Besides, the pro kayak has three air chambers. In case one of the chambers gets punctured, the kayak will still get to the shore in one piece. It also has a UV resistant finish that protects the kayak from long periods of sunlight exposure while fishing.
With the help of its high-pressure inflation, the Intex Excursion Pro Kayak is more stable and rigid in water. There is a pressure gauge onboard that guides the user not to over-inflate the boat.
This inflatable kayak is a high performer. It has 2 skegs that are important in tracking and maneuverability. They are quite helpful when steering and changing direction.
This fishing kayak has been designed for seniors. It features two adjustable seats, two-floor footrests, and two integrated set back fishing rod holders. You can remove one seat to carry your dog with you or go fishing alone.
The kayak has been built to hold a capacity of 400lbs. you can, therefore, eliminate any fear of toppling over since the boat is wide and sturdy.
- Easy to set up
- Has tough laminate material combined with polyester for stability and durability
- Has three air chambers that keep the boat afloat in case of a puncture
- Includes a pressure gauge to help the user when inflating
- Holds up to 400lbs
- Comfortable seats and footrests while kayaking
- The featured paddles are not so great
Intex Marina 4, 4 Person Inflatable Boat Set
The Intex Marina 4 Inflatable Kayak is the best kayak to take your friends with you for fishing. It can hold 4 people making it indispensable during fishing trips with family or friends.
Constructed with super PVC, the Intex Marina 4 is not only strong but also durable. The laminated vinyl makes it resistant to abrasions, sunlight, and impact. This kayak has been designed to last for years.
Also, this inflatable kayak contains 3 air chambers for extra comfort and stability. The flooring is made of high-duty extruded plastic to reinforce stability and rigidity.
It is easy to inflate and deflate this 4 person kayak. With 4 Boston valves, deflating and inflation takes place in minutes so that one can get in the water fast. The deflated kayak is lightweight to carry and requires minimum storage space.
The kayak gives you the chance to increase your flexibility. There is a pouch where you can add a gear motor instead of using the oars. This will enable you to be hands-free to enjoy the ride while fishing.
Sadly, the Intex Marina 4 has one major shortcoming. It has been built for 4 people but is comfortable for 3 adults. You can compensate the fourth person by having a child but not an adult.
- Has 3 air chambers for stability and rigidity
- It is lightweight and easy to carry
- Quick inflation and deflation because of the 4 Boston valves
- Ideal for family or friends fishing trips
- Comfortable for 3 adults, not 4
Driftsun Voyager 2 Person Tandem Inflatable Kayak
The Driftsun Voyager Kayak performs exemplary in both calm and rough waves. It is the best kayak to use for ocean fishing or fast river fishing. It has been designed to hold two people with a maximum weight of 450lbs.
The 2 person tandem kayak has a pointed bow, a removable skeg, and a V shape hull for an excellent performance. It also includes high-quality volume side tubes that offer resilience and stability.
Besides, the kayak has a tough PVC Tarpaulin bottom that makes it protected from high-impact and weather elements like intense sunlight. It also has a heavy-duty 840D nylon coating that makes it tear and rip-resistant.
This inexpensive kayak is best for novice beginners. It is easy to propel forward or change direction. The adjustable paddles provided have ergonomic handles that make it easy to propel in water.
The Driftsun Voyager has two adjustable and padded seats for high back support. One can spend hours of fishing without experiencing any back pain. The only limitation about these seats is that they get too hot after exposure to intense heat and can cause blisters.
- Quick inflation and deflation
- Has two padded and adjustable seats
- Has a V shape hull and pointed bow for easy maneuvers
- Made of high-quality durable materials
- Best to use in both calm and choppy waters
- The seats can get too hot and cause blisters
- Not comfortable for two people
Sevylor Big Basin 3 Person Kayak
The Sevylor Big Basin 3 Person Kayak has been built for comfort while fishing. The kayak has spray covers that keep the kayakers dry from splashes. It also includes adjustable seats and footrests for comfortability.
The kayak is safe to use. It has multiple yet separate air chambers that keep the kayak afloat in case one gets punctured. It also contains an airtight system that prevents leakage.
This 3 person kayak is designed to accommodate three big guys while fishing. The seats are adjustable and contain a backrest to avoid back injuries.
For quick inflation and deflation, the Sevylor big basin kayak has Boston valves. In 5 minutes, the boat can get in the water. When deflated, the kayak is easy to fold and carry in a storage bag.
This kayak is an ideal choice to take for fishing for the money. This inexpensive product will easily accommodate your friends or family as you propel the calm waters.
- Accommodates 3 adults
- Easy inflation and deflation
- Has spray covers that prevent splashes
- Has multiple air chambers for safety
- Made of quality and sturdy materials
- Only suitable for calm waters
- Does include a pump or paddles
Sevylor 2 Person Fishing Kayak, Coleman Colorado
The Sevylor Coleman Colorado Kayak is next on the best fishing kayaks under $500. It is both stable and durable. The manufacturer has seen to it that this kayak qualifies as a stand-up fishing kayak. One can fish while standing without tipping over.
For protection, the kayak is made of 840D nylon cover and a 1000D tarpaulin bottom. It also includes multiple air chambers which are of help if one chamber becomes punctured.
The boat performs best in lakes and slow-moving rivers. It has 18 gauge PVC constructions. There is an airtight system too to prevent any leaks.
This two-person Sevylor Coleman Colorado has adequate storage. There is a mesh gauge on the sides to store extra gear during fishing. There is space to mount trolling motor if the need arises. Having a motor on board will let you enjoy a hands-free fishing adventure. There are D-rings too to attach any fishing equipment.
The boat has two adjustable seats for easy maneuvers. One can ride solo or use the kayak for tandem riding. Either way, the kayak is comfortable for the user/users.
- Made of high quality, sturdy and durable materials
- Has an airtight system that prevents leakage
- Useful in stand up fishing
- Has ample storage space
- One can set up a motor and batteries
- Has multiple air chambers
- Rods hit the kayaker when mounted on the boat
- Does not include a pump
- Not good in tracking
Air Montana Inflatable Kayak
Air Montana kayak is suitable for camping, fishing, kayaking or touring remote areas. Its orange color makes it easy to spot from a distance making it a good fishing kayak under $500.
This kayak is both lightweight and portable. The two-person kayak is light to push into the water when inflated. It is also portable when deflated since it fits in a storage bag. It is designed for lakes and shallow rivers.
The 2 person kayak boasts of build and material quality. The heavy gauge PVC makes it resilient and sturdy. Also, the bottom is made of Tubular L-beam floor combined with tri-laminate reinforcements. These features prevent the bottom from getting abrasions from friction and help in tracking.
This kayak is best for beginners. It has adequate space for the rider to enter and exit at ease. There are neoprene elbow guards that one can hold on while finding a comfortable sitting position. The seats are adjustable, stable and comfortable. The cockpit has proved comfortable and less straining to users.
It is important to note that you will remain dry while fishing. The Airhead Montana has spray covers at the front and back to prevent spills and splashes. It is also resistant to sunlight thanks to the UV resistant coating.
- Lightweight and portable
- Holds two people at ease
- Has comfortable, adjustable seats
- Contains 3 air chambers
- Has a sturdy bottom that is tear-resistant
- Does not include a paddle and pump which is an added expense
Sevylor Quikpak K1 1-Person Kayak
The third best Sevylor product on this list is the Sevylor Quikpak K1 kayak. Made for one person, the kayak works best in a lake, slow-moving rivers, and shallow waters.
This sit-in kayak has an open cockpit that makes it easy to enter and exit the kayak. It is also stable for one to stand up without wobbling and tipping over. Besides, the kayak has comfortable seats that enable one to paddle for hours. There are multiple rest footrest positions for your comfort too.
The K1 Kayak is made of high-quality PVC which is indestructible. The bottom is made of tarpaulin making it puncture resistant and strong. Tarpaulin also makes it water-resistant which is useful for fishing trips. It also includes an airtight system to prevent any leaks on the kayaks. It is paramount that you inflate the right amount of air to prevent unnecessary leaks.
The Sevylor K1 has five air chambers, 3 small and 2 big chambers. If one of the chambers gets punctured, you are assured about getting to the shore safely since there are more than enough chambers to keep you afloat.
The kayak easily inflates and deflates. It contains double lock valves that let air in and out within minutes.
- Has a tarpaulin bottom that makes it resistant to abrasions and punctures
- Has 5 air chambers
- Has enough storage space including a cup holder
- Has met all NMMA safety regulations
- Multiple footrest positions
- Includes a low-quality paddle
- Not convenient for rough waters
Solstice by Swimline Flare, 1 Person Kayak
Solstice Swimline Flare Kayak is safe to use because its red color which easy to spot from afar.
Measuring 9’6’’ long and 37’’ wide, the kayak is neither too long nor short. This makes it easily maneuverable in white waters. Its width length provides a bigger wetting area compared to other kayaks. The 37’’ width length makes it the best angler kayak under $500. It is convenient to both anglers and inexperienced riders.
This sit-on kayak has room for one rider and can hold a maximum of 200lbs. It features multiple footrest positions for your comfort. Besides, it has a nylon covered bucket seat that is comfortable when fishing.
This fishing kayak also includes a removable large skeg that is helpful in optimal tracking while on white waters. The skeg offers better control when detached. You can fish in the ocean, rivers, and beaches.
This product is equipped to facilitate easy inflation and deflation. The Solstice Swimline kayak has replaceable H3 valves. It also has 4 screw type drain valves that make deflation fast.
The kayak is constructed with durable PVC material which is strong and made to last. The PVC material makes the hull more efficient. Besides, PVC is much lighter than wood so it only needs a little effort to propel the kayak.
- Suitable for both anglers and novice beginners
- Ideal for slow and fast waters
- It is lightweight, sturdy, and easy to paddle.
- Includes H3 valves for easy deflation and inflation
- The carry bag is of poor quality. this is however compensated by the functioning kayak
Sea Eagle 370 Pro 3 Inflatable Kayak
The Sea Eagle 370 Pro is a great kayak for both experienced kayakers and beginners. For decades, Sea Eagle has produced quality inflatable kayaks and this is no exception.
The Sea Eagle is lightweight and easy to carry. One can set it up in 10 minutes and enjoy long periods fishing. When deflated, it becomes a fraction of the whole set making it easy to carry in a bag.
The hull shape makes this fishing kayak efficient and swift. The paddles are light and easy to paddle across rough and smooth waters. They also include an aluminum shaft for smooth padding.
Besides, the Sea eagle can hold 3 people with a maximum weight of 650lbs. it is the best kayak to take with you for fishing expeditions, camping, and kayaking.
- It is stable and durable
- Holds 3 people with a maximum weight of 650lbs
- Easy to carry when deflated
- Has 5 inflation and deflation valves
- The included paddle is of poor quality
Lifetime Lotus Sit on Top Kayak
The Lifetime Lotus Sit on Top Kayak is durable and stable. The hull design makes the kayak extra stable and great tracking. It is great for beginner riders.
The manufacturer includes comfort in this piece. The seat has a comfortable backrest that helps the rider to spend hours fishing without back pains. It also has multiple footrest positions for different sized users. This boat is comfortable for big guys.
The kayak is lightweight and easy to propel. It only requires one person to get in the water. Made of high-density HDPE polythene, the kayak is sturdy in water. The hull also makes the kayak convenient for fishing.
If the cockpit floods with water, there are scuppered holes to drain and keep the kayak dry. The rider is however not safe from splashes since the boat does not have splash covers.
- It is lightweight and rigid
- Easy to paddle
- Has comfortable backrest
- Comes in a great design
- Not as sturdy
- Not efficient in tracking
- Not as light as inflatable kayaks
- Has limited storage
SUN DOLPHIN Sundolphin Excursion Sit-in Kayak
The Sundolphin Excursion kayak has put comfort into practicality. The cockpit is large and holds a padded and adjustable seat for your comfort. There is room for a rider to paddle at ease and stretch his feet while at it.
Besides, it has protective thigh pads and adjustable footrests. There are two-rod holders to mount paddles while fishing. Also, there is a water bottle holder to place your drink while surfing. The storage is adequate too to carry extra luggage.
This sit-in kayak has been designed for stability but not fast maneuvers. It is best for short fishing or recreational trips. The shape of the haul makes it good at tracking and easy to turn.
The boat is lightweight and easy to carry onshore and offshore. It weighs 40lbs and can take a maximum weight of 113lbs. There are carrying handles at the front and back of the kayak. It easily fits at the roof of a car.
The kayak is a perfect beginners. It performs well in calm waters. However, the Sun dolphin is not convenient for ocean water since the materials used are not salt resistant.
- The kayak is light and can be carried by a single rider
- Convenient for calm waters
- Can fit both all sizes of people
- It is stable and comfortable
- Does not work in rough waters
- The seat is not very comfortable
- The foot brace and paddle are of poor quality
Lifetime Tamarack Angler Sit-on-Top Kayak
The Lifetime Tamarack Angler Kayak has been designed to ensure stability and comfort. Its flat bottom is stable and enabled for tracking.
Besides, the sit on kayak has been made of durable materials. With high-density polyethylene, the boat can last for years without wear and tear. It is both UV resist and impact resistant.
There are front and back handles to carry the 52-pound kayak. It can be dragged onshore and offshore by a single rider. This 1 person kayak has room to store fishing gear for any fishing experience.
Since this is a fishing kayak, the seats are padded and adjustable. It does not matter how many days a week you need to be fishing, you are guaranteed of comfort. Besides, the kayak has several adjustable footrest positions that will keep your feet comfortable.
- Kayak is safe, durable, and stable
- Has front and back handles for quick transportation
- The flat bottom makes it stable and equipped for tracking
- Has a 5-year warranty
- Guarantees comfort
- Does not include an oar
You can never run short of options while shopping for a good fishing kayak under $500. Whether it is a 1 person kayak or 4 person kayaks, a good fishing kayak will make your fishing trips fun, memorable and enjoyable. Make a sound decision before taking any kayak home.